Bicycle Policy Aboard VRE Trains
Collapsible bicycles are permitted on all cars, on all
trains. These bicycles must be completely folded and safely
stored in overhead luggage racks, under seats or in some
other place that is not an inconvenience to other passengers.
Full size bicycles will only be allowed on the last three
northbound, the mid-day, any reverse-flow, and the last three
southbound trains on each line. Specifically, these are trains
- Full size bicycles must board at the northern-most car
on the train and use the southern half of the car.
- No more than two (2) full size bicycles are allowed on
the car. If the car already has two bicycles, you cannot
bring your bicycle on the train and must wait for the next
- Full size bicycles must be tethered to the bench seats
using a bungee cord attached to the eyelet on the seat frame.
The south end bench is distinguishable by only having four
(4) folding seats. Bicyclists will be responsible for
securing their bicycle.
- The bench seating on the north end of the car is priority
seating for passengers with disabilities. This area is located
directly across from the restroom and cannot be used for
- If the bench seating for full size bicycles is occupied by
passengers, the bicycle rider may ask the passenger to vacate
the seat or ask the conductor for assistance if the passenger
is unwilling to move. The priority will be for the bicycles.
- For the safety and convenience of our other riders,
bicycles will be boarded and removed last after all other
passengers have boarded or detrained.
- Passengers are not permitted to ride any bicycle on the
platforms or trains.
- All bicycles must be clean and free of grease.
- VRE will not be responsible for the security of bicycles
brought on board.