Policies Aboard VRE Trains
Baggage | Bicycles | Food
and Beverage | Smoking | Pets
| Quiet Cars
Items which do not cause safety hazards or inconvenience to other passengers
are permitted. For oversized bags, please check with the conductor on
your train to find the best possible storage space available.
Collapsible bicycles are permitted on all of our trains. Full size bicycles will only be allowed on the last three northbound, the mid-day, and the last three southbound trains on each line. Specifically, these are trains are:
Fredericksburg Line: 306, 308, 310, 301, 309, 311, 313
Manassas Line: 328, 330, 332, 325, 333, 335, 337
- Bicycles must board at the northern-most car on the train and use the southern half of the car.
- No more than two (2) bicycles are allowed on the car. If the car already has two bikes, you cannot bring your bike on the train and must wait for the next one.
- Bicycles must be tethered to the bench seats using a bungee cord attached to the eyelet on the seat frame. The south end bench is distinguishable by only having four (4) folding seats. Bicyclists will be responsible for securing their bicycle.
- The bench seating on the north end of the car is priority seating for passengers with disabilities. This area is located directly across from the restroom and cannot be used for bicycles.
- If the bench seating for bicycles is occupied by passengers, the bicycle rider may ask the passenger to vacate the seat or ask the conductor for assistance if the passenger is unwilling to move. The priority will be for the bicycles.
- For the safety and convenience of our other riders, bikes will be boarded and removed last – after all other passengers have boarded or detrained.
- Passengers are not permitted to ride bicycles on the platforms or trains.
- Bicycles must be clean and free of grease.
- VRE will not be responsible for the security of bikes brought on board.
Food and Beverages
Food and non-alcoholic beverages may be consumed on-board trains. Please
dispose of wrappers and containers in proper receptacles.
Smoking is not permitted onboard Virginia Railway Express trains. Smoking
is also limited to 100 feet on the north end of the platform.
Pets and Guide Animals
Only small pets are allowed, and only if carried in closed containers.
Trained guide and service animals assisting persons with disabilities are
permitted at all times.
The car immediately behind the locomotive on the south end of all VRE trains is the Quiet Car. When in this car customers are asked to refrain from using cell phones, keep pager, phone and PDA sounds off, and speak only in whispers. For more information on Quiet Cars, click here to visit our Quiet Car page.