Recent Blog Posts
VRE has returned to its full-service schedule. All 32 daily trains are running. The Amtrak Step-Up program, however, remains suspended.
Changes to COVID-19 Mitigation Protocols
VRE has relaxed capacity limits on platforms and railcars. This means social distancing is no longer required but can still be observed while ridership is low. The change is consistent with the latest U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) guidelines and those of other state and federal agencies. Utilization rates for all VRE trains are available online.
A face mask is required while onboard VRE trains through September 13, per a directive from the U.S. Transportation Security Administration.
To protect your health and that of your fellow passengers, the CDC continues to recommend that you:
- avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60-percent alcohol.
Effective July 2020, Step-Up tickets used in conjunction with VRE multi-ride tickets will not be accepted on the designated Amtrak trains.
The duration of this suspension is unknown at this time. We will continue to work with Amtrak to reinstate the program once it is practical to do so.
Please note Amtrak requires all persons on Amtrak trains or inside Amtrak facilities and stations to wear a face covering.
When Not Riding VRE
The CDC recommends being vigilant and taking these precautions:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick. (Symptoms of the virus include: fever, cough, shortness of breath.)
- Stay home if you feel sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
Please monitor the following sites for updates:
VRE Customer Service
VRE Headquarters in Alexandria is closed to visitors. Staff is handling phone calls and customer service from remote locations, so please call us at 703-684-1001 and we will do our best to accommodate your request.
- Crystal City Station Improvements
The Crystal City Station Improvements project is scheduled to complete the Preliminary Engineering (PE) and National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) review phase of the project by spring 2021. The station improvements include an island platform with two entrances within the existing railroad right-of-way.
- OmniRide and Virginia Railway Express Partners in Public Transit
OmniRide is honored to be able to partner with VRE to meet the travel needs of the region’s essential workers and for passengers making essential travel to employment, grocery stores, health care appointments, and more.
- Federal & State Mask Mandates
The President issued an Executive Order, Promoting COVID-19 Safety in Domestic and International Travel, requiring masks to be worn on trains.
- VRE Mobile Update
If your phone isn't set to automatically update, open VRE Mobile and manually update by clicking "Update My App" or vist Google Play or the App Store directly.
- Commuter Connections
The coronavirus pandemic has heavily impacted the way area residents work on a daily basis. With continued travel restrictions for many, working from home has become a common practice. For those required to commute to the worksite during the pandemic, Commuter Connections never stopped providing assistance.