Recent Blog Posts
VRE will operate at a reduced “S” schedule level until further notice. Only trains marked with an “S” on our schedule will operate.
We will send reminders of the reduced service level through our normal channels on a daily basis. Please stay tuned to vre.org and Train Talk Alerts for updates.
Your Part in COVID-19 Mitigation
For those who cannot telework and absolutely need to continue their daily commute, please practice proper social distancing onboard the trains, limiting interactions and exposure to other passengers and our crew. Additionally:
- Wear a cloth face covering per Executive Order 63 as well as to comply with rules in the jurisdictions where you board and alight. Face coverings are strongly encouraged in DC.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60-percent alcohol.
What VRE is Doing
VRE is being especially vigilant. Passenger cars are wiped down twice daily using disinfectant(s) -- nightly at our maintenance and storage facilities to prepare trains for morning service, and after morning service to prepare trains to return for service in the evening. When cleaning/sanitizing, crews place emphasis on areas people touch (e.g. seats, handholds, etc.), and restrooms are thoroughly cleaned and disinfected.
We're currently installing graphics to make social distancing on our trains and at our stations as simple as possible. Plus, we will make hand sanitizer available to our riders. Learn more about what to expect in the month of June.
Amtrak Face Covering Policy
Amtrak requires all persons on Amtrak trains or inside Amtrak facilities and stations to wear a face covering. This policy applies to:
- Amtrak trains designated as VRE Step Up trains
- Washington Union Station
- Alexandria station
Related VRE Train Talk Alerts:
When Not Riding VRE
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommends being vigilant and taking these precautions:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick. (Symptoms of the virus include: fever, cough, shortness of breath.)
- Stay home if you feel sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
Please monitor the following sites for updates:
VRE Customer Service
VRE Headquarters in Alexandria is closed to visitors. Staff is handling phone calls and customer service from remote locations, so please call us at 703-684-1001 and we will do our best to accommodate your request.
- What to Expect in the Coming Weeks
Throughout June, we'll be installing graphics to make social distancing on our trains and at our stations as simple as possible. Plus, we will make hand sanitizer available to our riders.
- Seasonal Schedule
The seasonal schedule will be effective the first service day after Memorial Day through the last service day prior to Labor Day. The schedule on our website will be updated prior to when service resumes after Memorial Day. Look for updated pocket schedules onboard the trains and posters at the stations.
- Coronavirus Health & Safety Guidance on VRE
Effective Tuesday March 17, 2020, VRE will operate at a reduced “S” schedule level. Only trains marked with an “S” on our schedule will operate.
- VRE to Use Everbridge Starting March 9th
VRE is transitioning to a new system to send Train Talk alerts. For many of you, no action is required to continue receiving Train Talks. However, if you originally subscribed for VRE alerts through another organization, you will need to opt-in to receive messages through Everbridge.
- 7-Day Pass ... Service or Calendar Days?
The 7-Day Pass is good for seven consecutive calendar days once validated. So, rather than counting the number of service days after you validate, use your calendar to track which days your ticket will be honored.