Recent Blog Posts
VRE will operate at a reduced “S” schedule level until further notice, supplemented with Train 300 (Departs Spotsylvania at 4:54 am) for the northbound commute and Train 307 (Departs Union Station at 4:10 pm) for the southbound commute. We are referring to this current service level as "S Plus."
As ridership continues to slowly increase and to help ensure the ability to social distance onboard the trains, we will continue to add cars to the six car sets and add roundtrip trains back to the schedule. We will send reminders of the service level through our normal channels on a daily basis until we return to full operation. Please stay tuned to vre.org and Train Talk Alerts for updates.
Your Part in COVID-19 Mitigation
For those who cannot telework and need to continue their daily commute, please practice proper social distancing onboard the trains, limiting interactions and exposure to other passengers and our crew. Additionally:
- Wear a cloth mask per the Governor’s Executive Order 63, the President's Executive Order (Promoting COVID-19 Safety in Domestic and International Travel), the Transportation Security Administration (TSA)'s Security Directive (SD) and the related Order issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Learn more and comply with rules in the jurisdictions where you board and alight as face coverings are required in DC.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60-percent alcohol.
What VRE is Doing
VRE is being especially vigilant (see our video). Passenger cars are wiped down twice daily using disinfectant(s) -- nightly at our maintenance and storage facilities to prepare trains for morning service, and after morning service to prepare trains to return for service in the evening. When cleaning/sanitizing, crews place emphasis on areas people touch (e.g. seats, handholds, etc.), and restrooms are thoroughly cleaned and disinfected.
We installed graphics to make social distancing on our trains and at our stations as simple as possible (take our interactive tour). Plus, hand sanitizer is now available to our riders. Learn more about what VRE implemented in June 2020 and how we are watching ridership to continue supporting social distancing.
Effective July 2020, Step-Up tickets used in conjunction with VRE multi-ride tickets will not be accepted on the designated Amtrak trains.
Amtrak is working to manage social distancing onboard their trains. Since VRE passengers utilizing the Amtrak Step-Up trains are not pre-booked, the Step-Up program is being temporarily suspended. The duration of this suspension is unknown at this time. We will continue to work with Amtrak to reinstate the program once it is practical to do so.
Please note Amtrak requires all persons on Amtrak trains or inside Amtrak facilities and stations to wear a face covering.
When Not Riding VRE
The CDC recommends being vigilant and taking these precautions:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick. (Symptoms of the virus include: fever, cough, shortness of breath.)
- Stay home if you feel sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
Please monitor the following sites for updates:
VRE Customer Service
VRE Headquarters in Alexandria is closed to visitors. Staff is handling phone calls and customer service from remote locations, so please call us at 703-684-1001 and we will do our best to accommodate your request.
- Working Together: A Look at NVTA
In a rapidly growing metropolitan area, it truly takes a collaborative effort that looks beyond jurisdictional lines, to reduce congestion and get people home to loved ones faster.
- Survey: Regional Return to Work
The Capital Region needs your organization’s participation to safely and sustainably reopen. We encourage all employers in the region – private, public and non-profit – to answer a brief 10-minute survey about each organization's reopening plans.
- Watch How We Do It
See our new cleaning procedures in action as well as how riders are expected to utilize social distancing guidance, follow state orders for face coverings, and maintain good hand hygiene.
- Trains 300 & 307 will Supplement S Schedule
Effective Monday, July 27: Fredericksburg Line trains 300 and 307 will supplement our reduced-service “S” schedule.
- Rider Responsibilities
Even with the extra precautionary steps taken by our teams to defeat the spread of the virus, we all need VRE passengers to comply with these guidelines to be as successful as possible.