Recent Blog Posts
VRE has returned to its full-service schedule. All 32 daily trains are running. The Amtrak Step-Up program, however, remains suspended.
Changes to COVID-19 Mitigation Protocols
VRE has relaxed capacity limits on platforms and railcars. This means social distancing is no longer required but can still be observed while ridership is low. The change is consistent with the latest U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) guidelines and those of other state and federal agencies. Utilization rates for all VRE trains are available online.
A face mask is required while onboard VRE trains through January 18, 2022, per a directive from the U.S. Transportation Security Administration.
To protect your health and that of your fellow passengers, the CDC continues to recommend that you:
- avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60-percent alcohol.
Effective July 2020, Step-Up tickets used in conjunction with VRE multi-ride tickets will not be accepted on the designated Amtrak trains.
The duration of this suspension is unknown at this time. We will continue to work with Amtrak to reinstate the program once it is practical to do so.
Please note Amtrak requires all persons on Amtrak trains or inside Amtrak facilities and stations to wear a face covering.
When Not Riding VRE
The CDC recommends being vigilant and taking these precautions:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick. (Symptoms of the virus include: fever, cough, shortness of breath.)
- Stay home if you feel sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
Please monitor the following sites for updates:
VRE Customer Service
VRE Headquarters in Alexandria is closed to visitors. Staff is handling phone calls and customer service from remote locations, so please call us at 703-684-1001 and we will do our best to accommodate your request.
- Working Together: A Look at NVTA
In a rapidly growing metropolitan area, it truly takes a collaborative effort that looks beyond jurisdictional lines, to reduce congestion and get people home to loved ones faster.
- Survey: Regional Return to Work
The Capital Region needs your organization’s participation to safely and sustainably reopen. We encourage all employers in the region – private, public and non-profit – to answer a brief 10-minute survey about each organization's reopening plans.
- Watch How We Do It
See our new cleaning procedures in action as well as how riders are expected to utilize social distancing guidance, follow state orders for face coverings, and maintain good hand hygiene.
- Rider Responsibilities
Even with the extra precautionary steps taken by our teams to defeat the spread of the virus, we all need VRE passengers to comply with these guidelines to be as successful as possible.
- Enhanced Cleaning Procedures
VRE railcars are disinfected twice a day, after morning and evening service, with special attention given to frequently touched surfaces.