Recent Blog Posts
VRE has returned to its full-service schedule. All 32 daily trains are running. The Amtrak Step-Up program, however, remains suspended.
Changes to COVID-19 Mitigation Protocols
VRE has relaxed capacity limits on platforms and railcars. This means social distancing is no longer required but can still be observed while ridership is low. The change is consistent with the latest U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) guidelines and those of other state and federal agencies. Utilization rates for all VRE trains are available online.
Effective immediately, VRE passengers and crew members will no longer be required to wear a mask onboard the train.
Masks are optional and VRE will continue to support those passengers and crew members who wish to wear a mask.
We would like to thank everyone for their cooperation while the mask mandate was in effect.
To protect your health and that of your fellow passengers, the CDC continues to recommend that you:
- avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60-percent alcohol.
Effective July 2020, Step-Up tickets used in conjunction with VRE multi-ride tickets will not be accepted on the designated Amtrak trains.
The duration of this suspension is unknown at this time. We will continue to work with Amtrak to reinstate the program once it is practical to do so.
Please note Amtrak requires all persons on Amtrak trains or inside Amtrak facilities and stations to wear a face covering.
When Not Riding VRE
The CDC recommends being vigilant and taking these precautions:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick. (Symptoms of the virus include: fever, cough, shortness of breath.)
- Stay home if you feel sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
Please monitor the following sites for updates:
- Seasonal Schedule
The seasonal schedule will be effective the first service day after Memorial Day through the last service day prior to Labor Day. The schedule on our website will be updated prior to when service resumes after Memorial Day. Look for updated pocket schedules onboard the trains and posters at the stations.
- Coronavirus Health & Safety Guidance on VRE
VRE has returned to its full-service schedule. All 32 VRE trains are running, however, the Amtrak Step-Up program remains suspended.
- VRE to Use Everbridge Starting March 9th
VRE is transitioning to a new system to send Train Talk alerts. For many of you, no action is required to continue receiving Train Talks. However, if you originally subscribed for VRE alerts through another organization, you will need to opt-in to receive messages through Everbridge.
- 7-Day Pass ... Service or Calendar Days?
The 7-Day Pass is good for seven consecutive calendar days once validated. So, rather than counting the number of service days after you validate, use your calendar to track which days your ticket will be honored.
- 7-Day and 31-Day Passes Now Available
Convenient, flexible and economical, two new fare passes were designed with the rider in mind. The 7-Day and 31-Day Passes are now available on VRE Mobile.