Recent Blog Posts
VRE has returned to its full-service schedule. All 32 daily trains are running. The Amtrak Step-Up program, however, remains suspended.
Changes to COVID-19 Mitigation Protocols
VRE has relaxed capacity limits on platforms and railcars. This means social distancing is no longer required but can still be observed while ridership is low. The change is consistent with the latest U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) guidelines and those of other state and federal agencies. Utilization rates for all VRE trains are available online.
A face mask is required while onboard VRE trains through January 18, 2022, per a directive from the U.S. Transportation Security Administration.
To protect your health and that of your fellow passengers, the CDC continues to recommend that you:
- avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60-percent alcohol.
Effective July 2020, Step-Up tickets used in conjunction with VRE multi-ride tickets will not be accepted on the designated Amtrak trains.
The duration of this suspension is unknown at this time. We will continue to work with Amtrak to reinstate the program once it is practical to do so.
Please note Amtrak requires all persons on Amtrak trains or inside Amtrak facilities and stations to wear a face covering.
When Not Riding VRE
The CDC recommends being vigilant and taking these precautions:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick. (Symptoms of the virus include: fever, cough, shortness of breath.)
- Stay home if you feel sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
Please monitor the following sites for updates:
VRE Customer Service
VRE Headquarters in Alexandria is closed to visitors. Staff is handling phone calls and customer service from remote locations, so please call us at 703-684-1001 and we will do our best to accommodate your request.
- 7-Day Pass ... Service or Calendar Days?
The 7-Day Pass is good for seven consecutive calendar days once validated. So, rather than counting the number of service days after you validate, use your calendar to track which days your ticket will be honored.
- 7-Day and 31-Day Passes Now Available
Convenient, flexible and economical, two new fare passes were designed with the rider in mind. The 7-Day and 31-Day Passes are now available on VRE Mobile.
- USB Tethering
VRE will not have Wi-Fi available until cell phone towers are put in place all along the route so that riders have 100% connectivity. Sometimes during the ride, however, you undoubtably wish your laptop had an Internet connection. USB tethering may fit the bill.
- OmniRide Launches Real-Time App
OmniRide now has its own mobile app to provide passengers with real-time bus arrival information and updates.
Use the app, and ride a FREE OmniRide shuttle to catch a VRE train!
- Temporary cost reduction of a single-ride Amtrak Step-Up
For the summer of 2019, we've lowered the cost of a single-ride Amtrak Step-Up ticket from $8 to $4! Learn more on the Step-Up page, then consider VRE Mobile to purchase your multi-ride VRE tickets and Amtrak Step-Up tickets.