Recent Blog Posts
VRE has returned to its full-service schedule. All 32 daily trains are running. The Amtrak Step-Up program, however, remains suspended.
Changes to COVID-19 Mitigation Protocols
VRE has relaxed capacity limits on platforms and railcars. This means social distancing is no longer required but can still be observed while ridership is low. The change is consistent with the latest U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) guidelines and those of other state and federal agencies. Utilization rates for all VRE trains are available online.
A face mask is required while onboard VRE trains through January 18, 2022, per a directive from the U.S. Transportation Security Administration.
To protect your health and that of your fellow passengers, the CDC continues to recommend that you:
- avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60-percent alcohol.
Effective July 2020, Step-Up tickets used in conjunction with VRE multi-ride tickets will not be accepted on the designated Amtrak trains.
The duration of this suspension is unknown at this time. We will continue to work with Amtrak to reinstate the program once it is practical to do so.
Please note Amtrak requires all persons on Amtrak trains or inside Amtrak facilities and stations to wear a face covering.
When Not Riding VRE
The CDC recommends being vigilant and taking these precautions:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick. (Symptoms of the virus include: fever, cough, shortness of breath.)
- Stay home if you feel sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
Please monitor the following sites for updates:
VRE Customer Service
VRE Headquarters in Alexandria is closed to visitors. Staff is handling phone calls and customer service from remote locations, so please call us at 703-684-1001 and we will do our best to accommodate your request.
- OmniRide Adds Free VRE Shuttles During Metro's Summer Shutdown
OmniRide will offer FREE shuttle service connecting residents with two nearby VRE Stations during Metro’s summer shutdown. The shuttles will begin operating on Tuesday, May 28, 2019 and will continue until Metro reopens the six Blue and Yellow line stations.
- FRED Transit to Start New Quantico VRE Feeder Service in May 2019
Beginning Wednesday, May 1, 2019, FREDericksburg Regional Transit (FRED) will start early morning and late afternoon feeder bus service between Aquia Towne Center, the north VDOT commuter lot on Route 610/Garrisonville Road and the Virginia Railway Express (VRE) station in Quantico, VA.
- Lost and Found
If you've misplaced an item, the process for making a claim is simple, just fill out VRE's online Lost Item Report or call 800-743-3873 as soon as you realize an item is missing.
- Receiving News and Delay Alerts
VRE embraces the world of social networking sites to both communicate and interact with our riders.
- Receive Alert Messages: Tips for Registering for Train Talk
Still not a member of VRE’s Train Talk news service? Why not? It only takes a couple of minutes to join. The program takes you through a series of steps so that you can customize your account and only receive alerts that are important to you.