Recent Blog Posts
VRE has returned to its full-service schedule. All 32 daily trains are running. The Amtrak Step-Up program, however, remains suspended.
Changes to COVID-19 Mitigation Protocols
VRE has relaxed capacity limits on platforms and railcars. This means social distancing is no longer required but can still be observed while ridership is low. The change is consistent with the latest U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) guidelines and those of other state and federal agencies. Utilization rates for all VRE trains are available online.
Effective immediately, VRE passengers and crew members will no longer be required to wear a mask onboard the train.
Masks are optional and VRE will continue to support those passengers and crew members who wish to wear a mask.
We would like to thank everyone for their cooperation while the mask mandate was in effect.
To protect your health and that of your fellow passengers, the CDC continues to recommend that you:
- avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60-percent alcohol.
Effective July 2020, Step-Up tickets used in conjunction with VRE multi-ride tickets will not be accepted on the designated Amtrak trains.
The duration of this suspension is unknown at this time. We will continue to work with Amtrak to reinstate the program once it is practical to do so.
Please note Amtrak requires all persons on Amtrak trains or inside Amtrak facilities and stations to wear a face covering.
When Not Riding VRE
The CDC recommends being vigilant and taking these precautions:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick. (Symptoms of the virus include: fever, cough, shortness of breath.)
- Stay home if you feel sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
Please monitor the following sites for updates:
- Lost and Found
If you've misplaced an item, the process for making a claim is simple, just fill out VRE's online Lost Item Report or call 800-743-3873 as soon as you realize an item is missing.
- Receiving News and Delay Alerts
VRE embraces the world of social networking sites to both communicate and interact with our riders.
- Receive Alert Messages: Tips for Registering for Train Talk
Still not a member of VRE’s Train Talk news service? Why not? It only takes a couple of minutes to join. The program takes you through a series of steps so that you can customize your account and only receive alerts that are important to you.
- Operation Lifesaver Infographic
Track Safety: Learn the facts. Exercise judgement. Teach others.
It is not only dangerous to walk on train tracks, it is also ILLEGAL. Trains are quieter than ever, and always move faster than they appear.
- Head Phones & Announcements
We understand that riders wish to be as comfortable as they can while riding our trains. But remember, train announcements are there for a reason and if you hear them playing, you may wish to take a second and listen. If you do wear headphones, please keep a few things in mind ...