Recent Blog Posts
In addition to the mandate currently being followed by VRE from the Governor’s Executive Order 63 regarding face coverings, the President has issued an Executive Order, Promoting COVID-19 Safety in Domestic and International Travel, requiring masks to be worn on various modes of surface transportation, including trains. To implement the Executive Order, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) issued a Security Directive (SD) which enforces the related Order issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), pursuant to the authority of the 49 U.S.C. section 114. TSA extended the face mask requirement for individuals across all transportation networks through September 13.
Per the TSA and CDC orders, please note:
- Mask means a material covering the nose and mouth of the wearer, excluding face shields.
- Federal law requires wearing a mask while on the conveyance (VRE train) and failure to comply may result in denial of boarding or removal.
- Refusing to wear a mask is a violation of federal law; passengers may be subject to penalties under federal law.
- Persons must wear masks over the mouth and nose when traveling on conveyances into and within the United States. Persons must also wear masks at transportation hubs (VRE stations).
- A conveyance operator transporting persons (VRE) into and within the United States must require all person onboard to wear masks for the duration of travel.
- A child under the age of 2 years.
- A person with a disability who cannot wear a mask, or cannot safely wear a mask, because of the disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (42 U.S.C. 12101 et seq.). This is a narrow exception that includes a person with a disability who cannot wear a mask for reasons related to the disability. CDC will issue additional guidance regarding persons who cannot wear a mask under this exemption.
- Operators of conveyances or transportation hubs may impose requirements, or conditions for carriage, on persons requesting an exemption from the requirement to wear a mask, including medical consultation by a third party, medical documentation by a licensed medical provider, and/or other information as determined by the operator, as well as require evidence that the person does not have COVID-19 such as a negative result from a SARS-CoV-2 viral test or documentation of recovery from COVID-19.
- Operators may further require that persons seeking exemption from the requirement to wear a mask request an accommodation in advance.
- Crystal City Station Improvements
The Crystal City Station Improvements project is scheduled to complete the Preliminary Engineering (PE) and National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) review phase of the project by spring 2021. The station improvements include an island platform with two entrances within the existing railroad right-of-way.
- OmniRide and Virginia Railway Express Partners in Public Transit
OmniRide is honored to be able to partner with VRE to meet the travel needs of the region’s essential workers and for passengers making essential travel to employment, grocery stores, health care appointments, and more.
- Federal & State Mask Mandates
The President issued an Executive Order, Promoting COVID-19 Safety in Domestic and International Travel, requiring masks to be worn on trains.
- VRE Mobile Update
If your phone isn't set to automatically update, open VRE Mobile and manually update by clicking "Update My App" or vist Google Play or the App Store directly.
- Commuter Connections
The coronavirus pandemic has heavily impacted the way area residents work on a daily basis. With continued travel restrictions for many, working from home has become a common practice. For those required to commute to the worksite during the pandemic, Commuter Connections never stopped providing assistance.