Recent Blog Posts
Bicycles are sometimes a point of contention onboard our trains. On one hand some think that we don't allow enough bicycles. Unfortunately, due to heavy crowding there is simply no room at this time to provide enough space for full sized bicycles on most of our trains. If you are adamant that VRE provide more bike space, then consider buying yourself a collapsible bike, because collapsible bikes are permitted on all cars.
Then, on the other hand, some think that we shouldn't allow any bicycles onboard period. However, we are supportive of alternative and environmentally friendly transportation options, as well as the benefits of better health, less pollutants and less congestion that have been touted as people increase bicycle use. For VRE's benefit, the more people who bike to the station, the less congestion on the way to and from the station and more automobile parking for other passengers.
Between the two schools of thought we decided to compromise and allow some bicycles on our least crowded trains. On these particular trains, riders need to keep in mind that half of the priority seating area is reserved for bicycles. If a non-bicyclist chooses to sit in this area, they risk being asked to move to another open seat should this area need to be utilized.
Our bicycle policy follows below:
Collapsible bicycles are permitted on all cars, on all trains. These bicycles must be completely folded and safely stored in overhead luggage racks, under seats or in some other place that is not an inconvenience to other passengers.
Full size bicycles will only be allowed on the last three northbound, the mid-day, any reverse-flow, and the last three southbound trains on each line. Specifically, these are trains are:
Northbound 310, 312, 314
Southbound 301, 311, 313, 315
Northbound 328, 330, 332, 336, 338
Southbound 321, 325, 333, 335, 337
- Full size bicycles must board at the northern-most car on the train and use the southern half of the car.
- No more than two (2) full size bicycles are allowed on the car. If the car already has two bicycles, you cannot bring your bicycle on the train and must wait for the next one.
- Full size bicycles must be tethered to the bench seats using a bungee cord attached to the eyelet on the seat frame. The south end bench is distinguishable by only having four (4) folding seats. Bicyclists will be responsible for securing their bicycle.
- The bench seating on the north end of the car is priority seating for passengers with disabilities. This area is located directly across from the restroom and cannot be used for bicycles.
- If the bench seating for full size bicycles is occupied by passengers, the bicycle rider may ask the passenger to vacate the seat or ask the conductor for assistance if the passenger is unwilling to move. The priority will be for the bicycles.
- For the safety and convenience of our other riders, bicycles will be boarded and removed last after all other passengers have boarded or detrained.
- Passengers are not permitted to ride any bicycle on the platforms or trains.
- All bicycles must be clean and free of grease.
- VRE will not be responsible for the security of bicycles brought on board.
- 7-Day and 31-Day Passes Now Available
Convenient, flexible and economical, two new fare passes were designed with the rider in mind. The 7-Day and 31-Day Passes are now available on VRE Mobile.
- USB Tethering
VRE will not have Wi-Fi available until cell phone towers are put in place all along the route so that riders have 100% connectivity. Sometimes during the ride, however, you undoubtably wish your laptop had an Internet connection. USB tethering may fit the bill.
- OmniRide Launches Real-Time App
OmniRide now has its own mobile app to provide passengers with real-time bus arrival information and updates.
Use the app, and ride a FREE OmniRide shuttle to catch a VRE train!
- Temporary cost reduction of a single-ride Amtrak Step-Up
For the summer of 2019, we've lowered the cost of a single-ride Amtrak Step-Up ticket from $8 to $4! Learn more on the Step-Up page, then consider VRE Mobile to purchase your multi-ride VRE tickets and Amtrak Step-Up tickets.
- OmniRide Adds Free VRE Shuttles During Metro's Summer Shutdown
OmniRide will offer FREE shuttle service connecting residents with two nearby VRE Stations during Metro’s summer shutdown. The shuttles will begin operating on Tuesday, May 28, 2019 and will continue until Metro reopens the six Blue and Yellow line stations.