Recent Blog Posts
Bicycles are sometimes a point of contention onboard our trains. On one hand some think that we don't allow enough bicycles. Unfortunately, due to heavy crowding there is simply no room at this time to provide enough space for full sized bicycles on most of our trains. If you are adamant that VRE provide more bike space, then consider buying yourself a collapsible bike, because collapsible bikes are permitted on all cars.
Then, on the other hand, some think that we shouldn't allow any bicycles onboard period. However, we are supportive of alternative and environmentally friendly transportation options, as well as the benefits of better health, less pollutants and less congestion that have been touted as people increase bicycle use. For VRE's benefit, the more people who bike to the station, the less congestion on the way to and from the station and more automobile parking for other passengers.
Between the two schools of thought we decided to compromise and allow some bicycles on our least crowded trains. On these particular trains, riders need to keep in mind that half of the priority seating area is reserved for bicycles. If a non-bicyclist chooses to sit in this area, they risk being asked to move to another open seat should this area need to be utilized.
Our bicycle policy follows below:
Collapsible bicycles are permitted on all cars, on all trains. These bicycles must be completely folded and safely stored in overhead luggage racks, under seats or in some other place that is not an inconvenience to other passengers.
Full size bicycles will only be allowed on the last three northbound, the mid-day, any reverse-flow, and the last three southbound trains on each line. Specifically, these are trains are:
Northbound 310, 312, 314
Southbound 301, 311, 313, 315
Northbound 328, 330, 332, 336, 338
Southbound 321, 325, 333, 335, 337
- Full size bicycles must board at the northern-most car on the train and use the southern half of the car.
- No more than two (2) full size bicycles are allowed on the car. If the car already has two bicycles, you cannot bring your bicycle on the train and must wait for the next one.
- Full size bicycles must be tethered to the bench seats using a bungee cord attached to the eyelet on the seat frame. The south end bench is distinguishable by only having four (4) folding seats. Bicyclists will be responsible for securing their bicycle.
- The bench seating on the north end of the car is priority seating for passengers with disabilities. This area is located directly across from the restroom and cannot be used for bicycles.
- If the bench seating for full size bicycles is occupied by passengers, the bicycle rider may ask the passenger to vacate the seat or ask the conductor for assistance if the passenger is unwilling to move. The priority will be for the bicycles.
- For the safety and convenience of our other riders, bicycles will be boarded and removed last after all other passengers have boarded or detrained.
- Passengers are not permitted to ride any bicycle on the platforms or trains.
- All bicycles must be clean and free of grease.
- VRE will not be responsible for the security of bicycles brought on board.
- What to Expect in the Coming Weeks
Throughout June, we'll be installing graphics to make social distancing on our trains and at our stations as simple as possible. Plus, we will make hand sanitizer available to our riders.
- Seasonal Schedule
The seasonal schedule will be effective the first service day after Memorial Day through the last service day prior to Labor Day. The schedule on our website will be updated prior to when service resumes after Memorial Day. Look for updated pocket schedules onboard the trains and posters at the stations.
- Coronavirus Health & Safety Guidance on VRE
Effective Tuesday March 17, 2020, VRE will operate at a reduced “S” schedule level. Only trains marked with an “S” on our schedule will operate.
- VRE to Use Everbridge Starting March 9th
VRE is transitioning to a new system to send Train Talk alerts. For many of you, no action is required to continue receiving Train Talks. However, if you originally subscribed for VRE alerts through another organization, you will need to opt-in to receive messages through Everbridge.
- 7-Day Pass ... Service or Calendar Days?
The 7-Day Pass is good for seven consecutive calendar days once validated. So, rather than counting the number of service days after you validate, use your calendar to track which days your ticket will be honored.