Recent Blog Posts
Coming soon to a mobile device near you: the new and improved VRE Mobile app!
VRE is keeping up with advances in customer service technologies to greatly enhance your experience with our mobile app. We know that changes can sometimes be a challenge, and upgrading our app will be no exception, but we know that you are really going to appreciate the new functionality of VRE Mobile.
We are currently in the final stages of testing the app to be sure it meets your (and our) expectations. The app is nearly ready for launch, so here is what you can expect in the coming months:
- Phase One - Upgrade to New VRE Mobile: The first step will be to have you upgrade to the new app. All current VRE Mobile users will receive a notification to upgrade with step-by-step instructions. Your existing tickets will transfer over to your account in the new version of VRE Mobile. For your account’s security, you will need to re-set your password using the “forgot password” option and you will need to re-enter your credit card and/or your SmarTrip card number for your SmartBenefits. If you experience any difficulty with the new app, including any missing tickets, you can call customer service (800-743-3873) and our team will investigate and reissue tickets as needed. After you have completed this step, you will have all the same functionality of the current version, and be in position to benefit from the new features coming in Phase Two.
- Phase Two – Enhanced Trip Tools: The second phase will be an exciting one for passengers as we roll out a host of new tools to provide more information than ever before, and to make commuting even easier. These tools are expected to include:
- Trip Planning Tools
- Real-Time Parking Availability
- Push Notifications (for service alerts, advisories, station updates, and VRE news)
- Amtrak Arrival Information
- The Commuter Connections’ Incentrip Reward Program
- Web Portal
- Special Event Ticketing
Once you have upgraded to the new app, you will receive notifications when each new tool has been added to VRE Mobile, to be sure you update your app on your mobile device to explore the new features.
- Phase Three – Integration with Regional Transit Partners: We know many of you rely on our regional bus partners to complete your commute, so we are also enhancing VRE Mobile to enable cross-selling of their fare products, in addition to VRE tickets. In fact, we are already testing cross-sales with one of our partners and we expect this to be a truly valuable addition to the app.
We know that the transition to the new VRE Mobile needs to be as smooth and seamless as possible. After all, for the enhancements to be truly successful, the app needs to be easy for you to use. Our goal is to communicate with you early and often to ensure this, and to provide customer service support to anyone who needs it.
- Crystal City Station Improvements
The Crystal City Station Improvements project is scheduled to complete the Preliminary Engineering (PE) and National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) review phase of the project by spring 2021. The station improvements include an island platform with two entrances within the existing railroad right-of-way.
- OmniRide and Virginia Railway Express Partners in Public Transit
OmniRide is honored to be able to partner with VRE to meet the travel needs of the region’s essential workers and for passengers making essential travel to employment, grocery stores, health care appointments, and more.
- Federal & State Mask Mandates
The President issued an Executive Order, Promoting COVID-19 Safety in Domestic and International Travel, requiring masks to be worn on trains.
- VRE Mobile Update
If your phone isn't set to automatically update, open VRE Mobile and manually update by clicking "Update My App" or vist Google Play or the App Store directly.
- Commuter Connections
The coronavirus pandemic has heavily impacted the way area residents work on a daily basis. With continued travel restrictions for many, working from home has become a common practice. For those required to commute to the worksite during the pandemic, Commuter Connections never stopped providing assistance.