Recent Blog Posts
Yes, it's true. VRE will not have Wi-Fi available until cell phone towers are put in place all along the route so that riders have 100% connectivity. We do not want our passengers to experience a service that might be more of an inconvenience than a convenience.
Sometimes during the ride, however, you undoubtably wish your laptop had an Internet connection. So, what's a good workaround when you're in a pinch for a connection? USB tethering may fit the bill.
Tethering allows you to use a phone's mobile data to access the Internet on a laptop. Depending on your mobile provider, there may be a flat fee for tethering a laptop to your phone. Check with your provider if you're concerned about added costs.
The process for setting up USB tethering on newer devices is fairly standard:
- Connect your phone to your laptop with a USB cable. For many Android phones, you will need a USB-to-Micro USB cable. You will need a lightning cable for an Apple phone.
- Go to your phone's settings. Then, access your Wi-Fi/ Network settings. Then ...
- For Android, select Settings, tap More Networks and then Tethering.
- For iOS, select Settings, and choose Personal Hotspot.
- For Android, select the checkbox for USB Tethering to enable it. For iOS, toggle the Personal Hotspot option.
- Check your Network Settings on your laptop. In the available networks, you should see "Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device," or the name of your phone.
Now try accessing the Internet on your laptop. If you need to troubleshoot, start by updating the operating systems on your phone and laptop to the latest versions. Also try a different USB cable or port.
Remember – as is the reason we do not offer Wi-Fi – cell signals along our route vary and will impact your ability to connect to the Internet in some areas.
- 7-Day and 31-Day Passes Now Available
Convenient, flexible and economical, two new fare passes were designed with the rider in mind. The 7-Day and 31-Day Passes are now available on VRE Mobile.
- USB Tethering
VRE will not have Wi-Fi available until cell phone towers are put in place all along the route so that riders have 100% connectivity. Sometimes during the ride, however, you undoubtably wish your laptop had an Internet connection. USB tethering may fit the bill.
- OmniRide Launches Real-Time App
OmniRide now has its own mobile app to provide passengers with real-time bus arrival information and updates.
Use the app, and ride a FREE OmniRide shuttle to catch a VRE train!
- Temporary cost reduction of a single-ride Amtrak Step-Up
For the summer of 2019, we've lowered the cost of a single-ride Amtrak Step-Up ticket from $8 to $4! Learn more on the Step-Up page, then consider VRE Mobile to purchase your multi-ride VRE tickets and Amtrak Step-Up tickets.
- OmniRide Adds Free VRE Shuttles During Metro's Summer Shutdown
OmniRide will offer FREE shuttle service connecting residents with two nearby VRE Stations during Metro’s summer shutdown. The shuttles will begin operating on Tuesday, May 28, 2019 and will continue until Metro reopens the six Blue and Yellow line stations.