For Release: May 19, 2015
Contact: Bryan Jungwirth, Director of Public Affairs & Government Relations
(703) 838-5416 office
(571) 238-9084 cell
Alexandria, VA. The Virginia Railway Express (VRE) honored several current and previous VRE Operations Board Members in a ceremony on May 16 at its Broad Run Station by affixing their names to the front of VRE locomotives. Honorees were selected by the Operations Board for playing a key role in establishing VRE service or for extraordinary efforts contributing to VRE’s success.
- Edwin King – Prince William County (Original Member)
- James Hugh Payne Sr. - City of Manassas (First Elected City of Manassas Member)
- Bernard Cohen – VA House of Delegates (Original Member)
- Bob Gibbons - Stafford County (First Elected Stafford Member)
- Sally H. Cooper – VDOT (Original Member)
- Sharon Bulova – Fairfax County (Original and Continuously Serving Member)
- John Jenkins – Prince William County (Long Serving Member)
- Hilda Barg – Prince William County (Long Serving Member)
- Elaine McConnell – Fairfax County (Long Serving Member)
“Honoring these Operations Board Members is a gesture of the appreciation we have for the leadership and public service they provided in creating and shaping VRE,” said John C. Cook, Operations Board Chairman of VRE and Fairfax County Supervisor.
The VRE Operations Board will consider additional honorees on an annual basis.
Picture 1 – (from left to right), John C. Cook, VRE Operations Board Chairman and Fairfax County Supervisor; Bob Gibbons, previous Stafford County Supervisor; John Jenkins, Prince William County Supervisor; Sharon Bulova, Fairfax County Chairman; Hilda Barg, previous Prince William County Supervisor; Sally Cooper, previous VDOT Director; Paul Milde, Stafford County Supervisor and immediate past VRE Chairman; Doug Allen, VRE CEO.
Picture 2 – Sharon Bulova, Fairfax County Chairman; Paul Milde, Stafford County Supervisor and immediate past VRE Chairman; John C. Cook, VRE Operations Board Chairman and Fairfax County Supervisor.
About the Virginia Railway Express (VRE)
VRE is the tenth largest commuter rail service in the U.S. and is a transportation partnership of the Northern Virginia and Potomac & Rappahannock Transportation Commissions. VRE’s mission is to provide safe, cost effective, accessible, reliable, convenient, and comfortable commuter-oriented rail passenger service. It serves northern Virginia and Washington D.C. and its offices are based in Alexandria, VA. Visit our website at: www.vre.org