What We're Doing
Removing the timber pedestrian grade crossing across Track 3 (closest to the station) and Track 2, adding elevators to both platforms and adjusting the platform elevations to make them ADA-compliant.
How It Will Help
Today, passenger trains (VRE and AMTRAK) primarily use Tracks 3 and 2 requiring use of the tunnel or the timber pedestrian grade crossing. Removing the timber pedestrian grade crossing will:
- Provide a safer passenger crossing of the tracks between the two platforms
- Offer a second transfer mode (elevator) from the platform to the tunnel in addition to the stairs
- Remove the requirement for AMTRAK personnel to escort those passengers using the Center platform
Adjusting the Center platform elevation, width and length will:
- Allow passenger trains to stop at Track 1 (furthest track east of the station) offering more schedule flexibility
- Adjust the elevation along the platform to standard 8” above-top-of-rail (Tracks 1 and 2)
- Remove the need for step-boxes to access all trains (VRE and AMTRAK)
- Provide a longer Center platform to accommodate longer trains
Adjusting the Station Platform elevation will:
- Adjust the elevation along the platform to standard 8” above-top-of-rail
- Improve the ramp in front of the station lobby entrance
- Adjust columns without raising the platform roof
This project will take into consideration the design for DRPT’s planned Alexandria Fourth Track Project. The new fourth track will not have platform access and will be built next to Track 1.
How It Is Funded
Funding for this project is provided by Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) Section 130 funds through the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT), the Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation (DRPT) by a Smart Scale grant and by FTA State of Good Repair funds (Section 5337).
When You'll See It
2020 Preliminary and Final Design
2022 Anticipated Construction Completion
Project E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: 02/26/2020