Don’t attempt to leave the train on your own. In most circumstances, that’s the most dangerous thing you can do. The tracks may be active with other trains in motion around you. The safest place for you is on the train. If you can’t stay in a car, walk calmly to another car that is unaffected by the emergency. Don’t try to evacuate yourself from the train without help from the train crew.
Look for a member of the train crew and report any emergency immediately; or use the emergency intercom. The sooner the crew knows about an emergency, the sooner they can act to control it. Don’t activate the train’s emergency brake. Once the emergency brake is pulled, the crew must reset the brakes before the train can move, again, reducing their options for dealing with an emergency. Use the emergency brake only when the forward motion of the train presents an imminent danger to life and limb.
Listen to instructions from the train crew or from rescue, fire or police personnel. The crew has been drilled in emergency evacuations and knows how to proceed. Stay calm and remain seated. Crew members will help you exit the train swiftly and safely if an evacuation is necessary. Usually moving to another car on the same train is all that’s needed to ensure your safety.
On-Board Train Emergency Instructions
- Use the passenger intercom to contact a train crew member.
- Listen for announcements.
- Move to an unaffected car.
- Remain inside - trains might be in motion on the other tracks.
- Follow instructions of emergency workers.
- Locate the fire extinguishers & emergency tools in each passenger car.
- Do not activate emergency cord.
- If a passenger is in distress, notify a crew member immediately.
- If you are medically qualified and able to assist, identify yourself to the crew.
- Notify the crew of any unlawful or suspicious activity on board your train.
- Train crews can contact the police en route.
- Train doors on the ends of the cars can be used for evacuating the train.
- Exit the train only when directed.
- Emergency exit windows are clearly labelled with instructions.