Are you a new rider to Virginia Railway Express?
Are you a new or returning rider to Virginia Railway Express The information below is designed to assist you in planning your trip. Read through this information and if you still have questions, please feel free contact our office at 703-684-1001 or email us at email@example.com.
Pick Your Station
First, check out our System Map and pick the stations you wish to travel to and from. If your destination is not directly next to a station, keep in mind that we connect with both metrorail and metrobus at five locations. To look at the amenities offered, click the station name to tell you not only how to get there, but what "extras" are available.
Just traveling between Alexandria and Union Station? Take Any VRE train!
What Times Do the Trains Run?
- The latest train schedules were effective as of October 18th, 2021. Please use schedule information reflecting this date.
Since we are a commuter rail system, we run northbound into DC in the morning and southbound in the afternoon and evening. Specific departure times can be found by visiting the schedule page on our website or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to request a pocket schedule to be sent to you.
Be aware that the time on the schedule is time the train will depart the station, be sure to be on the platform ready to board prior to the departure time. We suggest that you be on the platform at least 5 minutes prior to the train’s departure time.
EMPLOYER PAGE FOR SMARTBENEFITS - These two pages will help employers walk their employees through the step by step benefits allocation process and how to have those benefits allocated to the VRE mobile app.
You may also purchase a paper ticket from one of our platform Ticket Vending Machines using a debit or credit card. Or, you may purchase from one of our vendors with check, cash, Smart Benefits, or a credit/debit card. Keep in mind that tickets are NOT sold on the trains.
VRE FARE-Free September
Virginia Railway Express (VRE) passengers may ride for free during September and between certain stations in Northern Virginia and the District of Columbia during October. The fare-free initiative is designed to:
- Thank the core group of riders who used VRE throughout the pandemic
- Attract and welcome new and returning riders
- Help mitigate the effects of the upcoming Metrorail station closures on the region’s transportation network
VRE will suspend fares from September 1-30 across the entire system, as Metrorail shutters all Blue- and Yellow-Line stations south of Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport for maintenance beginning September 10. Passengers will not need a ticket to travel between any of VRE’s 19 stations.
Starting Saturday, Sept. 10, 2022, Metrorail will rehabilitate the Yellow Line tunnel and bridge between Pentagon and L'Enfant Plaza stations and connect the new Potomac Yard Station to the mainline rail system. During the Potomac Yard prep work, six stations south of Reagan National Airport on the Yellow and Blue lines will be closed from Sept. 10 - Oct. 22, 2022. The stations are Braddock Road, King St-Old Town, Eisenhower Avenue, Huntington, Van Dorn St, and Franconia-Springfield. The Yellow Line tunnel and bridge rehabilitation work will require the Yellow Line tunnel near L'Enfant Plaza Station and the bridge across the Potomac River to close for approximately eight months.
DASH 100% FREE TO RIDE! No cards, apps or passes needed.
Let DASH connect you to VRE so you can continue your trip with ease. The DASH routes below provide roundtrip service and connect to the King Street-Old Town Metro Station, which is adjacent to VRE’s Alexandria Station. (Click the route number for maps and schedules)
Line 30*: Braddock Metro – Old Town – King St Metro – Duke St – Whiting St – Van Dorn Metro
Line 31*: Braddock Metro – Old Town – King St Metro – Bradlee – Park Center – NVCC
Line 32: King St Metro – Eisenhower – Van Dorn Metro – Landmark
Line 33: King St Metro – Commonwealth Ave – Mt Vernon Ave – Potomac Yard Ctr
Line 102*: King St Metro – Janneys Lane – Seminary Rd – Mark Center
*Riders may request a stop at the intersection of King St and Sunset Dr, which is a shorter distance to the VRE entrance.
A Few Things That You Should Keep in Mind
Effective immediately, VRE passengers and crew members will no longer be required to wear a mask onboard the train.
Masks are optional and VRE will continue to support those passengers and crew members who wish to wear a mask.
We would like to thank everyone for their cooperation while the mask mandate was in effect.
- VRE does not operate on weekends.
- VRE does not operate on Federal Holidays. Amtrak trains may be available for some holidays; see the Amtrak page for more details. Please visit the operations calendar page for detailed information on limited and/or no service dates.
- Delays do happen. To find out if your train is delayed, sign up for our e-news/text service, Train Talk, to get the latest information about VRE, visit "Train Status" on our website.
- Have an emergency and need to get home in the middle of the day? Commuter Connections offers a Guaranteed Ride Home Program that will get you home in case of a medical or other emergency for you or your family, or unscheduled overtime.
- Safety is a priority at VRE. To learn more about VRE's culture of safety, watch the video below:
If you need more information, please contact us by email at email@example.com or call us at 703-684-1001.