PROJECT MANAGER – DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION
The Virginia Railway Express (VRE), a rapidly growing commuter rail operation connecting Washington, DC with Northern Virginia and surrounding counties, is in need of an experienced professional who will assist in development and review of design and engineering documents pertaining to railroad, railroad facilities and station construction projects. Functions as lead project manager for multiple projects simultaneously during the design and construction phases.
Work experience in a transit operating environment and familiarity with VRE is highly desired. A Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or related field required, with a minimum of eight (8) years of design and/or construction experience and at least two (2) years of which must be in a supervisory or project lead capacity. Must possess a Professional Engineer (PE) license. Must be able to work flexible hours demanded by a transit operation environment. Must also possess a valid driver’s license, current auto insurance, and maintain a safe driving record at all times during employment with VRE. For the complete job description, please see our website: www.vre.org. Full time position with great benefits. Projected hiring range: $89,819.88 thru $125,000, depending upon prior experience and education.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Veterans are encouraged to apply. Background checks are performed on all new employees. No inquiring phone calls will be accepted in response to this ad. Qualified candidates interested in applying should submit by e-mail or mail a professional styled cover letter, resume, salary history and three confidential references (to include their address, phone & e-mail) by close of business, Monday October 7th, to:
Human Resources Administrator
1500 King St. Suite 202
Alexandria, VA 22314
TITLE: PROJECT MANAGER – DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION
GRADE: AA [SALARY RANGE $89,819.88 THRU $149,101.01]
FLSA STATUS: PROFESSIONAL EXEMPTION (SALARIED)
Engineering management position reporting to the Chief Engineer providing engineering and construction management leadership on VRE capital projects. Assists in development and review of design and engineering documents pertaining to railroad, railroad facilities and station construction projects. Functions as lead project manager for multiple projects simultaneously during the design and construction phases. Provides engineering and construction management inputs to projects during the planning and environmental compliance phases.
TYPICAL SCOPE OF DUTIES:
- Provides management and supervision of the engineering and construction elements of VRE capital projects. Coordinates project management responsibilities, reviews project progress, identifies deficiencies and opportunities, and recommends solutions.
- Functions as project manager leading the management, scheduling, coordination, monitoring and execution of various capital projects constructing new and/or improvements to railroad tracks, signals, bridges, tunnels, communications infrastructure, passenger stations, parking lots/structures, yards, and maintenance facilities.
- Promotes a safe and healthy work environment and monitors strict adherence to the safety rules promulgated by VRE and its host railroads.
- Monitors and reports activities performed by VRE staff, railroad force account employees, consultants and contractors including but not limited to planning studies, environmental assessments, design, engineering, and construction.
- Develops project scopes of services and engage in activities related to the procurement of contractors and consultants.
- Coordinates project design and construction activities directly with host railroads and local jurisdictions.
- Establishes procedures for and maintains documentation of project management plans, project controls, finances, progress reporting for assigned projects typically ranging in value from $100,000 to $50 million.
- Ensures adherence to budget, scope and schedule on multiple projects.
- Maintains awareness of and ensures project compliance with possible restrictions on project funding sources.
- Establishes and maintains quality control and assurance on assigned projects.
- Reviews and approves design drawings and specifications for construction projects and studies.
- Perform engineering analyses, feasibility studies, condition assessments, and simple environmental reviews.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Must possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or related field (advanced degree a plus) or an equivalent combination of experience and education is required.
- Must possess a minimum of eight (8) years of design and/or construction experience, at least two of which were in a supervisory or project lead capacity.
- Must possess registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) from the Commonwealth of Virginia or be a registered PE in another state with the capability of acquiring Virginia registration within six months of hire;
- Experience with the design and/or construction of rail-related infrastructure projects highly desired.
SKILLS AND CAPABILITIES REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to lead and manage consultants, contractors, and self-perform design and construction management of track and rail-related projects.
- Ability to perform effectively in industrial and heavy construction environments.
- Ability to conduct review and interpret project drawings, specifications, cost estimates and schedules.
- Ability to develop and manage project procurements, cost estimates, budgets, schedules, quality controls/assurances, progress reporting, and invoicing.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally, through project correspondence, and technical reports using Microsoft Office Suite (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Project).
- Ability to perform independent engineering analyses, design work, environmental reviews, and technical report writing.
- Working familiarity with computer aided drafting and design (CADD) and project management software.
- Working familiarity with FTA, FRA, AREMA, and Host Railroad, DOT standards and applicable building codes.
- Awareness of current rail technologies and construction practices.
- Working familiarity with project controls software (i.e. eBuilder, E/A DOCS, ProjectWise) for management of project information and reporting.
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills, and strong verbal, written and presentation communication skills.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license, current auto insurance, and maintain a safe driving record at all times during employment with VRE.
- Ability to work the flexible hours demanded by a transit operation environment.
- Physical Abilities: Ability to safely lift and move boxes, equipment and other items for short distances weighing approximately 40 lbs. Must be able to effectively use hands and fingers in manipulation of various pieces of office equipment.
The Virginia Railway Express (VRE), a rapidly growing commuter rail operation connecting Washington, DC with Northern Virginia and surrounding counties, is in need of one or two college level Administrative interns with strong writing and communication skills to support our HR, Marketing and Rail Equipment/Operations divisions. This position will be located primarily at our headquarters in Alexandria, VA. This intern will assist in a wide-variety of tasks and activities, to include supporting both print and web-based communication efforts, assistance with employment postings, scanning of documents, processing invoices, answering phones, etc.
- Intern will obtain general knowledge of the operations of a local special-purpose government transit agency in the areas of human resources, communications, rail operations, mechanical, marketing, planning/development, and procurement/contracting
- Intern will obtain specific knowledge and hands-on experience working in the areas of marketing, human resources, rail equipment and operations
- Intern will gain proficiency working with Microsoft Excel by maintaining and updating various spreadsheets
- Intern will gain proficiency working MicroMain by entering/tracking invoices and purchase orders.
- Intern will gain proficiency working on Sharepoint by uploading and organizing documents for various divisions
Scope of Tasks/Marketing:
- Draft static information articles per the RIDE Magazine editorial calendar, as scheduled for the remainder of CY 2019
- Revise webpage copy to provide clear, concise messaging in support of page goal
- Implement Search Engine Optimization (SEO) techniques as directed
- Tag photos and graphics on Sharepoint, as well as upload and organize documents
- Complete data entry assignments through Sharepoint
- Organization of marketing closet
Scope of Tasks/Administrative:
- Process payment requests for all mechanical and utilities submissions with the ability to data enter information in several tracking spreadsheet/databases
- Maintenance of filing system for purchase orders and procurement activities
- Data entry/scanning related to job postings, monthly fuel data, etc.
- Pending and completed payment research for vendor inquiries
- Front Desk coverage to assist with walk-in passengers and/or assistance with answering phones as needed to cover during staff shortages and meetings
- Organization/unloading of office supplies
- Assist Operations in compiling/reporting operational data for use company-wide for multiple purposes
- Assist where possible in responding to passenger comments and questions through the GoTrains@vre.org email system
- Assist with coordinating materials for special events, meet the managements, pop-up customer service events, and other activities outside the VRE General offices
- Must be currently enrolled in college and actively working toward achieving a degree or certification, preferably in logistics, transportation, marketing or the business administration program
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Demonstrate strong writing and communication skills
- Ability to accurately organize and maintain proper documents and electronic files
- Ability to establish and follow detailed work procedures
- Ability to conduct online research
- Analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Ability to type and use a personal computer and related software applications, including automated financial systems, Microsoft Excel and Word
- Good interpersonal skills
- Keen attention to detail
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of information and to understand professional standards and boundaries
- Have strong initiative and the ability to work independently
- Strong customer service orientation
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks
- Good judgement and decision making
Salary: $12.25 per hour. This intern is needed year-round, part-time hours when classes are in session and full-time hours during breaks. Individuals only available during school breaks will not be considered. Free transportation on our trains, schedule permitting.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified candidates interested in applying should submit a professional styled cover letter and resume (highlighting relevant experience and skills) to:
Human Resources Administrator
1500 King St. Suite 202
Alexandria, VA 22314
If interested in applying for a crew member position for the VRE, please send your resume to Keolis at the email address below:
To inquire about other positions within Keolis, please visit their website at the link below: