PURCHASING & CONTRACT COMPLIANCE SPECIALIST
The Virginia Railway Express (VRE), a rapidly growing commuter rail operation connecting Northern Virginia with downtown Washington, DC, is in need of a Purchasing & Contract Compliance Specialist. This individual assists in the administration of small purchases and contract compliance for VRE. They will also be responsible for providing support and guidance to VRE staff to initiate the purchase of goods and services and for monitoring contractor compliance with established requirements following award of a purchase order or contract.
A bachelor’s degree in business or public administration, accounting, finance, contract management or a relevant field and at least three years of progressively responsible professional experience or an equivalent combination of experience and education is required. For the complete job description, please see VRE’s website: www.vre.org. This is a full-time position with generous benefits. The projected hiring salary range for this position is $56, 916 - $78,000, depending upon education and prior experience.
VRE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Veterans are encouraged to apply. Background checks are performed on all new employees.
Due to the high volume of resumes received in response to recent employment postings, no inquiring phone calls or follow-up e-mails will be addressed in relation to this advertisement. Qualified candidates interested in applying should submit a professional styled cover letter, resume, salary history and three confidential references (to include their address, phone number, and e-mail address) by close of business, February 22, 2019, to:
Human Resources Administrator
1500 King St., Suite 202
Alexandria, VA 22314
GRADE: R [SALARY RANGE $56,916.59 THRU $94,481.55]
Reports to the Manager of Purchasing and Contract Administration. Assists in the administration of small purchases and contract compliance for VRE. The Purchasing and Contract Compliance Specialist will be responsible for providing support and guidance to VRE staff to initiate the purchase of goods and services and for monitoring contractor compliance with established requirements following award of a purchase order or contract.
SCOPE OF DUTIES:
- Ensures that all procurement activities comply with applicable laws and regulations, including the Virginia Public Procurement Act and Federal Transit Administration Third Party Contracting Guidance as well as VRE policies and procedures.
- Reviews contractor invoices for accuracy and compliance with contract requirements, to include documentation of allowable costs, billing rates and unit prices as well as applicable receipts and subcontractor invoices.
- Tracks expenditures for open purchase orders and contracts to ensure that costs do not exceed the total authorized commitment.
- Monitors contractor adherence to contract requirements and ensures that valid insurance certificates, bonds, licenses and work authorizations are maintained throughout the term of the contract.
- Ensures timely submission of reports from contractors to document subcontractor participation, prompt payment to subcontractors and Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) utilization.
- Analyzes requests for small purchases to determine the most effective purchasing method, to include state contracts and other cooperative purchasing programs.
- Prepares Requests for Quotations (RFQ) and solicits quotes from vendors for goods and services within the small purchase threshold.
- Evaluates quotes for goods and services to determine cost reasonableness and generates purchase orders.
- Participates in special VRE transit events (i.e. Meet the Management, Santa Trains, Customer Opinion Survey, and Master Agreement Survey).
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent judgment and decision-making skills.
- Excellent reading comprehension as well as written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and perform time sensitive tasks.
- Knowledge of public procurement policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of federal and state contracting laws and practices.
- Ability to monitor and analyze complex financial systems.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to work effectively with staff in a service-oriented operations environment.
- Ability to accurately organize and maintain paper documents and electronic files.
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of information and professional boundaries.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Public Administration, Accounting, Finance, Contract Management or a relevant field and at least three years of progressively responsible professional experience or an equivalent combination of experience and education is required. Prior purchasing experience is preferred, but not required for this position.
The statements in this job description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbent(s) assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
VRE is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. VRE is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunities for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
The Virginia Railway Express (VRE), a rapidly growing commuter rail operation connecting Washington, DC with Northern Virginia and surrounding counties, is seeking an Accounting Intern to perform services related primarily to data management, general ledger review and reconciliation, audit schedule preparation, document review and editing, presentation preparation and general administrative support. This intern will gain experience working with accounting staff in the day-to-day operations of a local governmental transit agency. The Accounting Intern will work under the supervision of the Comptroller.
- Intern will obtain general knowledge of the operations of a local special-purpose governmental transit agency in the areas of rail operations, accounting, finance/budgeting and procurement/contracting.
- Intern will obtain specific knowledge and hands-on experience working in the areas of accounting and internal auditing.
- Intern will gain proficiency working with Microsoft Excel by creating, maintaining and/or updating various financial reconciliation spreadsheets that support various audit functions.
- Intern will gain proficiency working with Microsoft Word and Microsoft PowerPoint by reviewing and/or editing financial policy documents and support/training materials.
Scope of Tasks:
- Performs accounting related duties within assigned task areas, including entering, analyzing, and reconciling data, creating journal entries, and generating and reviewing financial reports.
- Compiles and analyzes financial information to support accounting staff in preparation of entries to general ledger accounts and supporting documentation of financial transactions.
- Reviews, investigates, and suggests corrections of errors and inconsistencies in financial entries, documents, presentations and reports.
- Scanning, copying, and organizing financial records in preparation for annual financial audit.
- Comparing audit schedules to financial system data.
- Review policy documents for updating and create PowerPoint presentations for use in training staff.
- Attend meetings, take notes and provide other administrative support.
- Carry out other duties as requested to assist Finance and Administration staff, or other staff at VRE.
- Must be currently enrolled in college and hold a junior or senior standing in a four-year degree program or be enrolled in a graduate program in accounting, finance, economics or related field
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Demonstrate strong analytical and mathematical skills
- Demonstrate strong verbal and written communication skills
- Have strong initiative and the ability to work independently
- Ability to accurately organize and maintain proper documents and electronic files
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of information and to understand professional standards and boundaries
- Ability to establish and follow detailed work procedures
- Ability to type and use a personal computer and related software applications, including automated financial systems and Microsoft Excel.
Salary: $19.00 per hour (plus transit benefits, if applicable). This intern is needed year-round, part-time hours when classes are in session and full-time hours during breaks. Individuals only available during school breaks will not be considered.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified candidates interested in applying should submit a professional styled cover letter and resume (highlighting availability, relevant experience and skills) to:
Human Resources Administrator
1500 King St. Suite 202
Alexandria, VA 22314
If interested in applying for a conductor position for the VRE, please send your resume to Keolis at the email address below:
To inquire for other postions within Keolis, please visit their website at the link below: